Saturday, November 12, 2011

Love of Big Cats

NaBloPoMo Post #12


Why I love Big Cats.

Lion, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!...Ok, maybe not bears.

I've always held a special love for large cats - lions, tigers, cheetahs, and especially panthers.




They are fascinating creatures. The power is evident in every move they make, in the coiled muscles that  move beneath the smooth fur. It is evident in their eyes, so calm and watchful when they seem relaxed. Intent and predatory when they fix on a target. The eyes that one can lose themselves in, the eyes that seem to hold the secrets of the universe itself.




They are the ultimate predators and one can't help but admire them; to admire their strength, courage, freedom from restrictions. They call to us and we feel a little stronger and a litte more courageous.






Unfortunately, many big cats, these amazing, beautiful creatures, are on the verge of extinction. Please visit the main page of my blog and scroll to the bottom to find links to big cat preservation organizations that you can get involed with. They need our help now! I will donate $1 (on top of my own donation) for each comment to this post to a big cat conservation org (will let you know which one). I will count the comments at the end of next week.

20 comments:

  1. This is a cause that is near and dear to my own heart. In fact, it takes a big part in the special edition of my novel releasing next month. I'll email you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, thank you Heather, I'd be very interested in reading that! This is one of the few causes I strongly believe in and advocate. I'd like to get even more involved at some point soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cause and happy to be part! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. *does the Lady Gaga cat-scratch dance*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll happily post a comment. I love the big cats, tigers in particular - the most beautiful cat to walk this earth.

    (written while much smaller version of tiger flaked out on my lap)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love big cats (and small ones for that matter!). When I was a kid I had a book that included all the major cats, large and small. I had their latin names memorized, that's what a nut I was.

    I belong to all kinds of conservation organizations. Right now the only "cat" specific one is the Snow Leopard Trust, which seems like an awesome organization. I'm excited to see what groups you're supporting here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I'm on Panthera's mailing list. They seem like a great organization.

    Here's a link for Snow Leopard Trust, in case you're interested...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much everyone!

    Lisa, I will defiinitely check out the Snow Leopard Trust, it sounds like a great organization! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *raises hand* I'm all for conservation efforts. Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome idea! Love it. Thanks for taking up this cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's a great cause Yelena. If we're not proactive, these cats will eventually become extinct, some in the not so distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yelana, my sister sent me here. I have volunteered at an exotic feline breeding facility/conservation center for over 13 years and am delighted to see other people as passionate about it as I am.
    please check out www.cathouse-fcc.org!

    Panthers, btw, are actually black leopards or jaguars with the melanstic phase gene...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving the response! Let's see how many comments we can get 'till the end of next week!

    Dana, I will check out the organization right now. I'd love to hear more about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find it fascinating that big cats, and all cats in general, can either purr or roar-but not both. Nature is odd.

    If I comment again, will my second comment be counted? I'll do it regardless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Second comment here.

    I also find it interesting that 30-150 species of animals go extinct every day, most due to deforestation. Species go extinct everyday regardless of human activity, but if we can conserve a needless extinction or two of a specie whose time isn't up yet, that's quite a nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comment, comment, comment. Seriously, I love the big cats too. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will not support this...big cats scare me....wait, huh...what did I just do?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, what the hey, I'll leave another comment. My favorite big cat is the jaguar. Jaguars have the strongest bite out of all big cats.The name jaguar comes from a Native American word meaning "he who kills with one leap."

    Interesting, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Rebecca, you're awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...