Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Writer Wednesday Flash Fiction - Leapling


 
I’m a “leapling”. I was born on leap day. I got my powers on leap day. I was prophesied to die on leap day. 

Would today be that day? I thought as the children of the night pressed around me. 

I hailed from a family of powerful witches who had control over other supernatural beings. Yeah, we weren’t the most popular lot, until people wanted our help, of course. But my power was the strongest yet, being the prophesied “leapling witch”, and all that. I had the power to make vampires mortal. You’d think that all vampires would hate this particular talent of mine, but you’d be surprised how many came to me seeking to regain their mortality. Still, the majority wanted to see me dead. I have been under special protection all of my life, until I got so fed up with it that I slipped my bodyguards. Hey, sometimes a girl wants to play and be free.

Of course, I wasn’t counting on the biggest vampire clan in the city to find me within an hour of my brilliant escape. And now, the creepy immortals surrounded me on all sides in a dark alley, their silence and slow movement more terrifying than anything else they could have done.

"Nice going", I muttered and squeezed my fists in preparation to raising protective energy.

Before I could raise my hands, a man walked in front of the rest. He was tall and beautiful. I may have been sheltered but I could appreciate a gorgeous male specimen.

“Don’t be afraid, Talia,” he said. “We need your help. Agree to work with us, and we’ll return you safely to your family.”

We stared into each others eyes, and I felt like I was drowning. In a bizarrely pleasant way.

I nodded my agreement. As if I could refuse. No, this will not be the leap day I die.

6 comments:

  1. Witches and vampires on leap day? Ancient prophecies? Yeah, I'm in. :) More please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how it ended up sort of romantic. In a twisted way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone. I have been thinking to expand on this and make it into a short story, or maybe even something more... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. I gave you a shoutout/award on my blog today. Probably gotten it before, but that's what you get for being awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...