Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Art & History Feature - Sampling of My Favorite Paintings

Today, instead of talking about any particular artist, I'd like to share with you some of my favorite classical paintings. I will be doing a post about all of these artists at one point or another (unless I already did). This is just a small sample, as those of you know, I'm a big art and art history enthusiast. The range of the artists and the paintings is quiet large. Hope you enjoy them.

Salvatore Dali - Christ of Saint John of The Cross


Igor Grabar - Chrystantemus




Alexander Ivanov - Appearance of Christ to Mary Magdalene


Arkhip Kuindzhi - Evening In Ukraine

Issac Levitan - Moonlit Night


Claude Monet - Waterlilies

Paul Rubens - Lady in Waiting to Infanta Isabella


Anna Ostroumova-Lebedeva - St. Petersburg in Winter

Ivan Repin - Bridge


Rembrandt - Saskia as Flora



Titian - Danae


Victor Vasnetsov - Alionushka (based on a Russian fairy tale) - Also the name my Russian family calls me :)
William Bouguereau - Abduction of Psyche

Raphael - Madonna Connestabile


Raphael - Sistine Madonna


Ivan Shishkin - In the North


Ivan Shishkin - Sunlit Forest


Vermeer -  Girl with Pearl Earring






Recently, I have also discovered a contemporary artist, born in Belarus but living in Israel now, whose paintings I fell in love with. His name is Leonid Afremov. Here's a few of his paintings - what do you think?
















I would love to hear which painting(s) you enjoyed the most and which artists you'd like to hear about in a post.

4 comments:

  1. Loved them all, glad you included the Vermeer :)
    I'd also love to see a post on photorealists, such as Glennray Tutor, Richard Estes, Ralph Goings, Charles Bell, and Don Eddy. There are many more, just going off of what I remember from art class. So...yeah :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. I got into art history via a lovely little book. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/art-history-story-of-art-eh-gombrich.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite artist is Jack Vettriano. I'm one of those people who doesn't know much about Art but knows what she likes :-)

    I do love the Leonid Afremov works, and the Dali - he's another favourite of mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thank you for Leonid Afremov's works.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...