Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Art & History Feature - Borgias TV Show (a rant)



Today, I'd like to take the opportunity to vent and rant about the cancellation of the Showtime show Borgias.
Yes, I'm very upset. This is the 3rd season of the show, that was originally planned for 4 season, and it's been the strongest season. Why cancel it?

Apparently, politics (what else, isn't it always) of the network is to blame. From what I could gather, the former big boss of Showtime wanted it to continue, but the current big man doesn't. Whatever the politics involved is, I think it is disrespectful and downright rude to the millions of fans who love the show and would like to see it to its conclusion.

Spectacular costumes on some of the Borgia women


What is more upsetting is that the final episode, which was supposed to be the season, not the series, finale seems to be just that. It does not provide, in my humble opinion, a good conclusion, as it doesn't wrap up everything that needs to be to make this a good series finale.

There's a possibility that the show's creator, Neil Jordan, might do a 2-hour movie to conclude the series. I sincerely hope that this in fact happens. There are also petitions going around the Internet signed by fans to force the network to do a 4th season. Sadly, I doubt they will make much of an impact on the final decision of the network executives.

And so, I say a sad and fond farewell to this beautiful show that brought the world of the infamous Borgia family to our screens for the last three years. I especially applaud the amazing performances by the handsome Francois Arnaud, who plays Cesare Borgia, and Holliday Grainger, who plays Lucrezia Borgia, the other half of the incestuous sibling couple, as well as Jeremy Irons - Pope Alexander himself.

Francois Arnaud as Cesare, Holliday Grainger as Lucrezia and Jeremy Irons as Pope Alexander
If you love good period shows and have never watched the Borgias, I would recommend picking up the 1st and 2nd seasons now, and the 3rd season when it comes out on DVDs.

1 comment:

  1. What?! I hate to see a show end prematurely. And I liked this show. Well, this sucks. Oh well, I'll always have this and The Tudors on DVD. :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...