Monday, January 23, 2012

Rebel Writer's Pledge 2012

Even though I posted my goals (writng and non-writing) for 2012 last month, today I'm posting them again due to joining an amazing group of writers in the Rebel Writer's Pledge 2012







 As every year, 2011had its ups and downs. The highlights, as far as my writing is concerned, was signing with the awesome Jennifer Mishler and Frances Black of Literary Counsel. My writing partner Tina Moss and I couldn't be happier about that.
Tina and I also started on the sequel, book 2 in the Keys Series.

I also started an individual project (as has Tina) but more about that in the new year's goals.


So what's ahead?


My writing goals for 2012 are quiet ambitious, and I'm going to start the year with the sense of optimism that all of these goals can be reached successfully. So here's the list of the goals and how I plan to achieve them.

1. I pledge to  finish my WIP. It is very important to me to finish my novel within 6 months. It will be a challenge but a welcomed one. In order to do this, I will change my method of writing a bit. 1) I will start making brief outlines of each chapter to have an idea of what I want to include in the chapter and the general direction it will take. This has proved to be very helpful when I work with Tina (my writing partner) on our Keys Series. When working on my individual project, I tend to just sit down and write, but that is not always an optimal way of doing it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Making an outline of chapters assures that I can always sit down and know what to write (even if it's in more general terms).

I pledge to be more diligent about keeping the smaller goals of a certain amount of time spent writing a day/a week and/or a certain amount of words written a day/a week, etc.. Hopefully, there will be a very visible rise in both the time spent writing and the words written in the beginning of the year vs. the end. For the beginning, my goal is 250 words a day or 1500 a week (hopefully going up to 1000 words a day towards the end of the year). To accomplish this, I will experiment with a few different methodologies and see what works the best for me. I'll be tracking this experimentation and the results in blog posts throughout the year.

2. I pledge to finish book #2 in the Keys Series with Tina Moss. I love the process we've established while working on book 1. We put our heads together - and sometimes bump them - and we divide up chapters and hash them out. Then we write them and come back together to read over them, then edit each others chapters. Lots of good ideas and good times ensues.

3. I pledge to keep up with the blog post schedule and expanding and developing the blog further. I would like to do another months or two of NaBloPoMo challenge. During the rest of the months, I will be happy posting 3-4 posts a week. I would like to have my features written in advance and be ready to posted when the time comes. These features are Writer Wednesday Flash Fiction and Friday Art & History Feature. I also plan to have a collection of articles on writing that I can use whenever I need to have a post up but don't have time to write it that day. This will allow me to always keep a reserve of articles and keep up with the blog posts even when I'm focusing on other work and cannot devote a lot of time to the blog. It is my intention for my blog posts to inspire and motivate other writers.

4. I pledge to read at least 50 books (various genres, the majority urban fantasy/paranormal romance and historical fiction, as well as YA). Also I pledge to read at least 1 book on writing craft a month.

These are the major writing goals I'm setting for myself in the new year. On top of the writing goals, here are a couple of non-writing goals:

1) I pledge to start to train for my second black belt degree and am hoping to test sometime during the next year.
2) During the next year, I pledge to start a couple of campaigns to raise money for the organizations that work for preservation of big cats and of wolves. Stop by the blog in the next few weeks for more information on this projects. 












Share your writing (or non-writing) goals and how you plan to reach them. How do you motivate yourself and what advice do you have for motivating other writers?



Don't forget to check out Rebel Writer's Pledge 2012!

16 comments:

  1. I love your goals, and I have confidence that you can achieve them! I'll be cheering you on as you write your novel in six months, and go for your next black belt! And you know I'm all over helping out with campaigns to help big cats. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! You've been such an amazing support and inspiration for me. I will definitely let you know about the campaigns :)

      Delete
  2. Those are great goals and much more specific than mine. I sort of need to work on that...and I forgot to add supporting my fellow authors. I especially like your goal to read more on our craft. I need to tdo that desperately!!! If I keep adding to my goals...oh man. Overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, I know,I keep thinking of new goals to add myself :) Yes, I believe supporting fellow authors is the one of the most important things we can do as writers. Good luck with your goals!

      Delete
  3. These are all fantastic goals! I really like the one about keeping up with your smaller goals. Thanks for participating in the hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals! I need to read more books on the craft of writing. I've been slacking in that area lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are wonderful goals, and how great that you have a writing partner.
    The personal goals are amazing! My SIL used to do rescue work with big cats, so it's touching to find another who does, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. shew lots of great goals here! And to think I only did one... :D But it sort of encompasses many of the points you've made here. Basically getting serious and making it happen. Best of luck to you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, this is ambitious! But it's also fantastic, and I admire you so much for setting your sights so high. It looks like you've already brainstormed practical and attainable ways to achieve these goals, so I'm 100% on board that you can definitely reach them. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great goals! I think by putting them out there, we're more apt to achieve them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job on making your goals very specific. I think that will help you meet them.

    Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! I totally remember these but now as I read them again I keep thinking of even more pledges I want to make :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone! Everyone's support is what is going to make the biggest impact on achieving all of these ambitious goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW girl! You are making me tired with those goals. They're lofty ambitions and you can do them all! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes sir...that's some set of goals there! But you'll never land on the moon unless you build a rocket! Good luck with them all!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great! I love that you detailed how you are going to fulfill your pledges. I plan on having a very busy and successful 2012. I just joined the Rebel Writer's Pledge today so my goals will be up by the end of the night! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...