Thursday, May 3, 2012

Guest Blogger - Heather McCorkle - Spruce Knoll For Endangered Species

 Today, I'm giving the page to my wonderful friend in the writing community, Heather McCorkle, the author of The Secret of Spruce Knoll. Besides writing, there is something else very special that Heather and I share - the love for animals and a great concern for the fate of the endangered species all over the world. So supporting Heather's cause is very dear to me. I'll let Heather tell you about this cause in her own words.

 This story was born when I was watching a special on the shrinking habitat for polar bears. There was a commercial with a teen girl talking about saving endangered species and Eren’s character sprung up from that. The story of Spruce Knoll and it's inhabitants is the story of our world and what's happening to it.


I've always been inspired to do something about the increasing rate of extinction of many of our animals. When I became an author I found my way to do that. A portion of the proceeds of The Secret Of Spruce Knoll (from every copy sold, in every format) will go toward saving endangered species. My goal is to raise $10,000 by 12-12-2012, but that is a lot of books  and I realize I may not reach it. I figured, why not try though?! If by some miracle I do raise that much then I will continue to donate a portion of the proceeds of Spruce Knoll for another year. 

Due to legal reasons I can’t say who the charity is that I donate to, but I can tell you that they are one of the top charities in the world that specializing in protecting endangered species. They’ve made great strides in preserving habitat, stopping poachers, and even helping to bring species back from the brink. But I can tell you that there are wonderful sites all over the internet but two of my favorites are the World Wildlife Fund and the National Wildlife Federation.

The situation for many endangered species is terribly sad. Tigers will be extinct in the wild in less than ten years. And unfortunately, they are only one on a long list of creatures that will be gone before this decade is over. Together we can make a difference though and that's exactly what I intend to do, and what you'll be doing whenever you buy a copy of The Secret Of Spruce Knoll. You can help by purchasing a copy for yourself, a friend, or a loved one, or by giving directly to one of the many amazing charities that help endangered species. 

Heather is the author of The Secret Of Spruce Knoll, Born Of Fire, Channeler's Choice, and coming in May of 2012, the historical YA fantasy, To Ride A Puca. A short story of Heather's is also available in the free In His Eyes eBook anthology.



3 comments:

  1. Heather, this is a wonderful cause. Kudos to you for giving a portion of the proceeds from your book to charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! Every little bit makes a difference and that's what I hope to do. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for featuring me and my cause Yelena. It means so very much to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...