Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Writer Wednesday Flash Fiction - Protector

image credit: Gild_a_Lily

The pain took my breath away and doubled me over. I shut my eyes tight against the onslaught of the sensations. The magic swirled around me, tight and potent. Gasping for air, I came to my knees and felt tears making a wet path down my face. I knew people I loved were around me, within a single touch, but I have never felt more alone. The feeling of loneliness almost made me choke and I swallowed hard but tears wouldn't stop coming.
"Don't fight it," I heard someone say. The voice was close but it would take more strength than I had to focus and recognize it. Didn't matter whose voice it was, anyway. "Let it take you. Ride every feeling and every emotion. Let them make you stronger."
I let go and collapsed. Never have I felt such sadness, such anguish, such loneliness. Never would I want to feel them again. When I thought I could take no more, calm descended. The tears still flowed freely but I felt calm and sure. Magic ran through my veins, strong and intoxicating. I felt like I was floating. I slowly opened my eyes. My mother stood above me, my people surrounded us within a circle.
"You have been born once more into this world," my mother said. "You now possess the magic of all of our people." She helped me up off the ground. "You rise a true queen. Use your magic to protect your people."
She turned towards the people.
"I give you your Queen Protector," she announced with voice that rang out like a bell of the purest sound.
I became who I was meant to be. And my mission was just beginning.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Both the picture and the excerpt took my breath away. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Heather! I loved the pic when I found it. To be honest, I'm in a bit of a dark mood today, and it just came through in the flash. lol

      Delete
  2. I'm picturing an Amazonian type society with magic. Hmmm... #secretproject potential. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe this requires a lunch meeting w/ chocolate to determine. #anyexcuseforchocolate

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...